Thursday, April 12, 2012

Modern Carvers

Gosh, it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have a real job and it's been a beast lately, but busy usually equals good, and luckily, that's been the case. In my free time, I've been working on a secret rig of cork decoys. Unfortunately, I lack the creative mind to have my own patterns, but I'm creative enough to right-size patterns from old decoys from an earlier, and quite frankly, better period of time in North Carolina's duck hunting lore. And while I do carve my own birds now, and I've only got about 24 to my resume, I'm nowhere near the whiz that some other North Carolina carvers are. Still, several of them have opened the door for me to create and craft. Carving is fun, but we'll only find out if it's effective in November. and while most carvers employ the use of drawknives, carving knives, power carvers, and spokeshaves, I use only a rasp, but shaping cork is a lot easier than wood. I chose cork because it displaces less water and floats higher. And cork is a nit more durable, but I'm rough on anything. And painting the decoys is an absolute blast. Neverthelesss, if you get some time, there are some living carvers worth googling...and collecting...

Nick Sapone
Andy Pope
Kent Hood
Walter Gaskill
Ben Heinemann
Jerry Talton
Cameron McIntrye
Pete Peterson

Have fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment