Wednesday, May 2, 2012

This and That's

I realize that it's been a while since I've put finger to blogging keypad...alas, it's work that requires my attention and not playful and mindless ramblings of ducks and the like. Nevertheless, here's some noteworthy stuff to pass the time:

Dock of the Bay, at the Eastern 4-H Center is this weekend. The Eastern 4-H Center is located in Tyrrell County and is open year-round to the public for those looking to book retreats, conferences, weddings, and other meetings. However, the primary function of the place is an educational facility...and Camp Canvasback - a youth summer camp themed towards waterfowl conservation and hunting - is held there. Anyway, Dock of the Bay is the annual fundraiser. There's a tremendous buffet and beach music. This year, they've got The Embers...and I hear they are kinduva big deal. Tickets are available at the door for $50 per person and the proceeds go to camp scholarships...it's always fun! There is also a silent auction...decoys by famous North Carolina makers like Kent Hood and Jerry Talton will be available for bid, as well as an Acrylic Duck Call from Allen Bliven Calls...and a couple of prints - one of which is dontated by the Hyde County Waterfowl Association - which is a supporter of Camp Canvasback.

May 12 is Loon Day down at Harkers Island. It's a family-oriented day with food, a decoy competition, and auction. I'm entering a bird, as are 3 of my pals. Someone is entering a pintail, and it's not me. But I have seen the bird and it's a dead ringer for an Eldon Willis/Elmer Salter pintail...except that it's cork. Either way, admission is $5 and dogs can even come to. It's at the Curt Salter building....and it starts around 10:00am.

The spring habitat report was less than promising for most regions of the Prairie Pothole Region. The Maritime Provinces held wet conditions, so nesting should be good for birds like Black Ducks, Scaup, Mergansers, Buffleheads, Wood Ducks, and sea duck species. The Prairie Pothole Region, however was rated as bad to fair, and that's where the majority of the ducks are raised...I just sent my check to Pheasants Forever....hope they get to work soon...

There's talk of an elimination of the October split for North Carolina Duck Hunters. Suits me...

At the April 26 Guyette & Schmidt Auction, few north Carolina birds were auctioned off. However, a Bob Morse canvasback did auction for around $12,000. I wish I had a few of those...

In my collecting and carving: Collection additions - I've added what appears to be a Pell Austin (though I hoped it was a Morse) with a shoddy re-head job, and what I believe to either be a Stant or Bode White battery redhead, but it's been repainted as a wigeon. It appears to be in it's 3 coat of paint, but the original head appears to be present. The iron nails have lifeted the head, so it's cock-eyed, but the head still retains it's folkiness and the original and unsanded knife marks are still present. The form is outstanding, but the pain is horrid. But I like it. As far as carving: I've completed a rig of Wright-Style ruddy ducks, some smallish, battery style blackheads, and a trio of surprises not to be revealed until after Loon Day...


No comments:

Post a Comment