Thursday, March 22, 2012

Boating Continued...

As I stated earlier I shall continue my remarks about the guys you encounter at the boat ramp...

The "Idiot": This is the guy who absolutely cannot back a trailer. He'll also be the guy who heard it was a good idea to grease the skids on his trailer...only to unhook the winch strap before hitting the ramp's angle...then, boom. As his boat fragments all of the ramp, he'll swiftly pull forward, only to crush the remnants of his boat. The "Idiot" is also the guy who leave his boat still attached to the winch. Once he enters the water, his trailer will float with the boat, often times removing it from the hitch. while the boat and trailer are floating in the water, he is left dumbfounded. The "Idiot" may also be spotted running to a swiftly filling boat to insert the plug...and yes, it's a threaded plug.

The "Dead Battery" Guy: His battery is always dead. He doesn't figure it out until he has pulled his truck and trailer into the parking spot 300 yards away. And you get to watch him diagnose the problem. Sometimes, he'll even have a jumpbox, illustrating his tendency for repeat offenses. Sometimes, though, he'll retrieve the battery from his truck and use it. He can make for a long wait at the ramp. I have been this guy 2 times in my life...

The "Perfectionist": This is what we shall all strive to be when at the ramp. Our plug is in because we check right before we enter the water. We also unstrap the boat winch in that trip to the plug. We also might see if the motor will "hit" by a quick turn of the key. All of our important gear was packed in the boat at the gas station where we stopped to fill up earlier. We occupy the ramp for less than three minutes. We also wait to "outfit" the boat (rig rods, sort decoys) once we've reached open water.

There are other things to consider when boating, too. The waterways are a lot like the roadways. Try to show common courtesy in narrow canals and streams. However, if it's navigable at top speed, I'll do it. That water is free and open. Just because you decided to fish in the middle of a creek that's only 150 feet wide, doesn't mean you have the right of way. Waterways are made for travel. The edges are made for enjoyment. I don't expect people to slow up while I'm in a layout boat, but that would be nice, since it's obviously dangerous to me. Also, if you're in a canal, with your 12' jonboat, pushed by 10 screaming horses, loaded to the hilt with 7 men, 10 dozen decoys, and a black retriever, please get out of my way. You're in over your head Big Boy. With my vessel, I'm at the top of the food chain, and I'll act like it. I'll let you get over or I'll ride close behind until you get the picture. Don't be an idiot. Put your little boat and big ambitions aside and let the pros have their way. It'll make everyone happier...

Now, fisherman...please avoid fishing in my decoy spread. You will not catch anything after I waterswat my sacrifice-able decoy. I will shoot a decoy for you to get the picture. If you want to fish while I hunt, be my guest. I will hunt while you fish. However, since I got there first, I believe I have the courtesy and right to enjoy the area first. Still, your sputtering two-stroke will flare birds, but only if you're T-Tops don't do it first. Fishermen, generally, are a cordial lot. However, there are more places to fish than duck hunt. Duck hunters use only the surface of the water. Fishermen can use any where below the water...so find an unoccupied place. There are lots of places where fishermen can wet their lines where duck hunting is forbidden, too. And since many fishermen fish in National Wildlife Refuges and don't own a duck stamp (which funds these places), you really should just let the duck hunters have their reign. In fact, Fishermen can use the waters 10 other months, while waterfowlers are lucky to have two months...

Use common sense. Never overfill your boat, even though I have. Don't fish in a line of fire. It'll be your fault when you get accidentally peppered. Not every fishing boat is visible, especially if it's in the tidal gut  behind  prominent duck hunting point...

No comments:

Post a Comment